Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Drugs

Me:  "I think the answer to my problem starts with "A" and ends in "Derall"
Other:  "I could get it for you, but is that what you really want?"
Me:  ".........."

I've mentioned on here how important I believe a well-stocked medicine cabinet is.  It's essential, in case you didn't know.  Seriously, I have so many different kinds of painkillers for different pains/times of day, I could probably run a pharmacy.  If you need some Ibuprofen, I'm probably the girl to see.  I even have back up bottles under my sink because I hit a sale on extra-strength tylenol once.  But in the example above, I turned down the adderall.  Why?

Because in the words of my friend Orale*, who admittedly was quoting Cool Runnings at the time, "If you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.  Or, in my own words (which are SO much better):


If You Can't Do It On Your Own,
You Can't Do It.

I'm not trying to preach at anybody here.  You do what you've got to do to get the job done.  But it's probably a bad idea to put something that you don't NEED into your body.  It's probably a really bad idea to put a prescription drug without your name on it into your body.**  Your doctor hasn't told you it's safe.  And nothing, not even law school finals, are worth harming your body.  

In my humble opinion, drugs (yes, even painkillers) should always be the last resort.  You don't need caffeine to keep yourself awake if you get some sleep.  You don't need drugs for concentration if you're willing to forgive yourself for needing a break once in a while.***  The human brain wasn't made to focus non-stop.  

So, you know, do what you've gotta do.  But be careful.  And maybe take up yoga before you resort to anything extreme.

_____________________________________________
*Oh yeah, once you get a code name, you're somebody I spend too much time around.
**I'm not a doctor, so I can't actually make these statements, but I think it's a generally held axiom that someone should actually prescribe a prescription drug to you.
***Or maybe you do.  Once again:  Not A Doctor.  But if you think you need drugs, you should definitely see one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment